Roof painting must be on top of the list if you have a home renovation project coming up. Doing so will boost your home’s overall value – aesthetics and functionality. You may think that this task is just simple and that anyone can do it by themselves. The truth is that roof painting must better be left to the experts not only to ensure proper and correct application, but also to be able to maximise its benefits.
The type of roof paint to be used depends on the type of roofing material that will be painted. It is important that you choose the right type of paint for your roof to boost its protection against the harsh outdoor elements.
Types of Roof Coatings
- Acrylic – efficient roof coating that protects surfaces against radiation and hail damage. According to studies, using acrylic coating on the roof can actually help reduce the surface temperature. Moreover, this type of coating can be applied on to both metal systems and single-ply membranes. It is economical and very easy to apply.
- Polyurethane – currently being used in a variety of roof membranes and provides that long-lasting, clean roof colours. Polyurethane coatings are highly-resistant to impact. It is often applied in two coats – the base coat and the topcoat.
- Silicone – has become a very popular roof coating because of its excellent UV protection as well as high resistance to harsh environments, extreme temperatures, and oxidation. Unlike other coatings, silicone can withstand continuous and long-term exposure to ponding water. In addition, it comes in many different colours with high emissivity ratings and reflectivity.
Roof painting is just one part of the whole process of roof restoration. In order for you to take advantage of all the benefits that come along with new roof paint, proper preparation must be followed.
- Clean the roof. Proper way of cleaning the roof based on the type of material and surface must be followed. Before applying any paint or coating, everything must be free from any dirt or debris.
- Check the roof’s condition. Take advantage of the cleaning process to assess the real condition of the entire roof. Look for signs of damages – cracks, breaks, rust, and other issues. A clean roof will reveal both major and minor issues.
- Repair damages. Fix all damages, even the smallest ones. Bear in mind that no matter how expensive or how pretty the chosen roof paint is, it will still be useless if the surfaces to be painted are damaged.
- Apply the right kind of primer, pointing compound, and roof paint. Make sure that all materials and supplies that you are using are suitable for the type of roofing material you have.
We are Dulux Accredited
Newcastle Roof Restore is a Dulux Accredited service provider. We guarantee that our roof paints will last for 5 years or even more. Get in touch with us today to know more about our amazing options.